Saturday, March 01, 2008

Not a very happy post...............:(

This post is one that I've been dreading. Although it's not quite over yet, I know it's getting close.


This is a picture of my sweet doggie, Chandler. He's been with me for 14 years, and he's been quite the pet. I actually bought him for Matt one month after we started dating (he was Matt's bday present). For the last few months, he's started having problems with his back legs. Matt took him to the vet today, and he told Matt that he has a spinal cord injury and probably only has a week or two left. I know he's 14, and it's time, but it still just kills me. My kids are so broken-hearted that I just can't stand it. Now we wait, which is just the hardest thing ever. If you have any advice for dealing with my kids and their grief, please let me know.

I have taken some great pics of the kids with him so I will be doing some pages, but not yet. I can't bring myself to look at them. We are just trying to remind ourselves to enjoy his time he has with us and not dwell on the sadness. It just so hard.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.
Pin It!

12 comments:

MandyKay said...

i am soo sorry to hear about your dog. that is so sad. i wish i could give you some advise on handling this situation with the kids, but i don't. I'm sorry.

Wendy Reed said...

AAAAAAahhhhhhhh sweetie, I am so sorry! That is so hard. :( We have been through that with a beloved pet and it really is tough.

Lots of hugs to you and your fam sweetie!

Wen

Jennifer Sizemore said...

I am so sorry - it is hard to let go of a pet, especially when they have been your family for so long.

Leslie Ashe said...

Oh Amy, my heart goes OUT to you and your family. I know your pain exactly, it's a hurt like none other! It's tough...if you need to talk, I am here.

Hugs to you guys!
Leslie

Waleska said...

awwww Amy, I'm sorry! he looks like such sweet doggie... :( {{hugs}}

Rachael said...

I'm so sorry, Amy! Sending you big hugs!

2H Design said...

OOOOOOOOOhhhh hno!!! My sympathies go out to you big time after almost losing one of my own doggies last week and having to wait three days before I knew if she would likely live or die.

I will be thinking of you and praying for you & your family. Encourage your kids to pet her and cuddle her now. You will have time to grieve later. And that will be okay then. Encourage them to every joy every moment more they get to spend together.

~Lea~ said...

I am so so sorry Amy! Having two dogs myself, I can't imagine how much your heart hurts right now. Sending you lots of hugs and warm wishes right now!!

Always,
Lea

Aline said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your dog! I can understand how you feel at the moment and I wish I could give some advice on handling this, but I can't. So sorry!

Wendy Reed said...

Amy sweetie... how is your baby? :(

I tagged you on my blog.

LOVES!

Davinie said...

Oh sweets, I'm so sorry. My yellow lab Cooper just went to the vet the other day, and Steve came home with "elderly" paperwork. Even that shook me, because I still consider him a pup, even though he's 7.

Taking photos with the kids is a good idea. I don't have any experience with this so I don't have any answers for you, but perhaps, knowing that his time is close, it might make things easier, rather than if it happened suddenly? I don't know... I am just sending you a big hug. Our fur babies are just as much a part of the family as our human kiddos, so it is definitely a sad thing to know that they won't outlive us.

P.S. YOu liked my craft project! If you make one I want to see it. It really was a great project to do with my kids, because I was able to just stand back and let them do what they wanted and it looked perfect no matter what!

:)

joanne (spagirl) said...

oh amy...i am so sorry... it is so hard to let go of a beloved pet. in time, the sadness will fade and when you least expect it, you will think of him and smile... it takes time, but it will happen. chandler, i'm sure knows how much you love him and is still looking over you! hugs, xoxo