Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Photo schtuff

So, in my quest to post every day this week, I decided to share my photo processing as of late. I've tried tons of different processing techniques (actions, etc), but this is what I have been doing for the past couple weeks, with pretty good results. Let's start with the before pic, of me facing a window using my remote.


Settings were: shutter 1/20, f/2.8 using my 28-70mm lens

Obviously this photo is too dark, and too cluttered. First thing I always do is run my 'defog action' before I do anything, then I cropped the photo and did a curves layer adjustment. I start in the center of the curve and pull it up and to the left until I like the result. "To do a cuves layer, you go to the bottom right-hand side of your workspace, and click the b/w circle, selct curves and the dialog box will appear. When you get the result you want, hit OK.


My photo is still too warm for my liking, and I use this next step to fix that. This one of my new adjustment faves. I posted a while back about the phenomenally talented Tina Cockburn and I got this step from her. Following the steps for adding a curves layer, go to the same b/w circle and choose photo filter. When the dialog box appears double click on the drop down menu and you can see all the affects each filter will provide. For my photo, using the cyan filter fixed the color for me. Lastly, I used the dodge tool which is over on the left-hand side (a wand with a ball on it) to highlight the catchlights, and I'm done!



The colors here aren't as true as what I see, but you can still get the idea, right??

Tips: ALWAYS, ALWAYS work in layers, so that if you mess something up you don't have to start all over again. Remember less is more...you can totally over-process which isn't good for anyone.

Hope you enjoyed my tutorial...I'm off to get my hair done (notice the horrid roots in my pics), WOOHOO!!!
Pin It!

2 comments:

lisa dickinson said...

hey i like your tutorial! and you look hot, girlie!! :)

waleska said...

great info! I *just* discovered the working in layers part and agree, it's SO much better that way!